We finished the flower bed last month but I am just now getting around to posting the pics. The flowers have really brightened up since these pictures too. I’m pretty sure there hasn’t been a flower bed in the front since Chad’s parents lived here about 15 years ago. I was so excited to have my first flower bed! I had no idea what I was doing, very little money to spend, and 2 puppies and 2 adult dogs (we all know what that means: digging up my flowers and making lots of holes! Grrrrr!)
So when I started my seed for the cut flowers I will be selling at farmer’s markets this year, I also started some flowers to plant in pots and in the flower bed. Well…I planted WAY too many (it’s a learning process on how much seed to start in the channel trays)! And I also planted the wrong variety of zinnias in my first planting of cut flowers, so I had 5 trays of short zinnias to find a home for as well.
I knew I wanted a border, but we didn’t really have it in our budget to spend money on landscaping, so after researching (aka pinteresting) I had a brilliant idea: I can use the really big rocks that are all over the pasture up on the hill. So I pulled the small trailer behind the four-wheeler up to the hill and picked up rocks (and some spiders, ants, and scorpions too-not fun!) The fam came to my rescue and helped me picked some up and ensure we could get the four-wheeler home with such a heavy load.
After we tilled up the ground, we put down cardboard boxes and shredded paper, watered it really well, covered it with dirt, laid out the rocks, and then I was able to plant my flowers! Jake gathered up some old wagon wheels from around the farm for me to put at the back of the flower bed.
I had most of the pots already so I just added soil and my flowers that I had started back in February and tah-da! I think it looks great! Especially since we spent a grand total of $20 on the whole thing + the pine shavings Chad’s parents picked up for us. It’s nice to know I started all the flowers from seed and that we were able to use the rocks and wagon wheels laying around the farm. It’s a success in my book!
Now in the pictures you will may notice the electric fence around the flower bed. Those cute little terrors of a puppy really liked those flowers so we are training them to admire them from afar.
This is before! The boys just finished tilling the first round. I know…it’s pretty blah right?!
Making progress! I learned on pinterest that you can use a water hose to shape your border.
This is the finished product! Success! I couldn’t have done it without my two boys helping me though!
This is our home sweet home! 🙂
Here’s what I planted:
On the right I planted all Dianthus Baby Doll (which are just now starting to bloom and are beautiful!)
On the left side I planted Zinnia Lilliput Mix (I haven’t had much luck with these staying alive though.) I also mixed in some Baby’s Breath since I had an overabundance of it I had started for my cut flowers. There is also Black-eyed Susan vines planted all along the back of the right side, which produce beautiful yellow flowers. They are starting to climb onto the wagon wheels now too! Love it!
In 4 of the pots are Nasturtium Trail Mix, which is my favorite so far. The hummingbirds seem to like it too! It’s great for hanging baskets.
I also have more Zinnias in the pots, but I also planted some Scented Stock Starlight flowers in pots. They seem to be doing very well and are supposed to be very fragrant in the evenings once they bloom so I’m very excited about that!